Friday, February 12, 2010

100th Post: a reflection

Lately, I've been feeling the *winter blahs* and have absolutely no motivation to do things I really should be doing. [Why put away laundry when you're just going to wear it again?] I've spent a lot of time worrying about things that I really have no control over, but when I sit down and think about all that's surrounding me, I realize there is so much good stuff to be grateful for. So, in honour of my 100th post, I decided to write an entry of *gratitude*. I have to credit Faiza's blog for inspiring me to write this post, especially the quote she posted recently:

"Your outlook on life is a direct reflection on how much you like yourself."

This is the short list. I know I'm leaving out a lot, but these are the things that are getting me through my day lately:
  1. My boys. E, Indio, and even Cassius. No matter how sucky my day has been, these three have the power to make me forget it all.
  2. My girls. There are a select few women in my life who I speak to regularly, though that that could mean everyday or once a month. This week alone, I've separately shared stories over Super Bowl snacks, sushi, noodles, and poutine, and also had the pleasure of catching up with a another girlfriend on the phone last night.
  3. My family. One of the biggest reasons we moved to Toronto was to be closer to my parents and brother. I can't put in words how lucky we are to be near them. My parents spoil us with delicious home-cooked food and they offer to have Indio over for slumber parties almost every weekend. It makes my heart smile when I watch Indio with his grandparents. I didn't fully realize the amazing support an extended family gives until I was the recipient.
  4. The Blogosphere. I'm probably following too many blogs, but there are so many creative people out there that give me the push to get my butt moving on stuff like organizing my house, cooking dinner, or writing a letter to my grandmother. And then there are the *fluff* blogs too that just showcase pretty pictures or silly quotes. I love it all.
  5. Me time. This week, E has been out of town. It's been hard, but it has also given me time to do things I never make time for like trying to complete Indy's first Blurb book before he becomes a teenager or reading for more than 5 minutes before bed or getting my Ellen and Oprah fix.
  6. Winter. Yes, I know I started this post saying I had the *winter blahs*, but that has more to do with the lack of sunshine and warmth. Luckily, Toronto hasn't been hit with any huge snowstorms this year and it really hasn't been as cold as it has in the past. I'm thankful that we haven't had to dig ourselves out from mounds of snow...yet.
  7. Tea. I drink a cup of tea almost daily. It is such a ritual in our family that my day seems incomplete if it doesn't end with a warm mug of Tetley or maybe a fancier loose-leaf chai.
  8. Snail mail. I know I've talked about snail mail a lot lately [here, here, here, and here are just a few entries], but that's because it's a surefire way to bring a smile to my face. Writing a letter by hand is so very different than typing an email. There's something about it that makes me feel more *connected* to the one I'm writing to.

5 comments:

Faiza February 13, 2010 at 12:11 AM  

Looking forward to a hundred more posts, more time together and memories yet to be made.

I am thankful for you everyday.

Gratitude - is an amazing feeling.

Love you.

LenoreNeverM♡re February 14, 2010 at 10:19 AM  

Great message here~
just found your blog & loving your profile photo...so cute*

sheba February 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

@faiza--you are a great example of what gratitude is. <3

@lenore--thanks for checking out my bog! i love that photo, but not sure if i should change it now that my lil guy gets his food by other means. :)

Paula February 17, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

How did I miss this post! You are beautiful person who is truly blessed and I am thankful to have you in my life. Another sushi date soon. Lots of hugs xo

Unknown February 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

very powerful and inspiring!
xoxo

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP