Monday, January 10, 2011

If I write it down I have to do it

I'm not big on new year resolutions [I tend to make more around my birthday], but healthy living is always on my list, anytime of year. Exercise is definitely not my favourite thing to do and sweets top my list of sustenance, so this is a real challenge for me. Luckily, I married a fantastic fitness expert who helps keep me in line.

In November, I finally bit the bullet and joined the gym on a 3-month trial. I hadn't stepped foot inside a gym since the days of being pregnant with Indio! During November I was pretty good at getting to the gym, but December was a bust! First, we were in NYC, then I had strep and we had guests for the last 3 weeks. [I know the die-hard fitness buffs would call those "excuses".]

Well, it's now January and I am back on the wagon [or elliptical machine!]. I only went to the gym once last week, but I'm still hurting from that workout. My goal is to go 3 times a week before my pass runs out in February, so that's 12 times. Will you help me stay motivated?

I think I'm going to convince E to buy me a pair of Nike Free running shoes if I can keep up my gym routine until spring. What motivates you? What do you do for exercise? How do you stick with it and not lose steam?

5 comments:

Claire Kiefer January 10, 2011 at 12:59 AM  

We need to talk about this topic SOON. And also those shoes. I never thought I'd say this about a pair of tennis shoes, but I love them!

I am extremely serious about getting back on the workout wagon this year. I don't really like gyms very much (though I've been a member of one for years), but I like exercise and I love the way I feel after I work out. While I'm no one to give advice on the subject (cause I lapse, too!), these are two things that work relatively well for me:

1. A goal/event. Last year I did the 60 mile breast cancer walk, so I had no choice but to train for it. That helped. I think I'm gonna do the walk again this year in DC (in September), so that will motivate me again.

2. New workout ideas. Yesterday I took a Dailey Method class I'd never taken before, and today I tried out the free yoga at lululemon (loved it). Tomorrow night I'm going to a modern dance class. New classes like that get me excited.

But we should talk more cause I need someone to hold me accountable too, and who better to do so than my soulsista?

Faiza January 10, 2011 at 6:51 AM  

i have every confidence in you that if you put your mind to it, you'll achieve this goal. you've done it before and i know you can do it again and maintain it!

for me it has been about finding a space and place and activities that i like to do and then investing in me. that mindset of investing time in me and forgoing time with friends and family was hard for me to wrap my head around but i found out that i can have both!

cheering for you my friend!!

Kimia Kline January 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM  

;)my skinny jeans inspire me

Unknown January 11, 2011 at 6:15 PM  

LOOOOOVE the shoes! good job you! you are doing awesome already :) keep it up! we can motivate each other!

sheba January 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM  

thanks, ladies!

@kimia, i live in my skinny jeans these days, but can't wait til i feel good enough to not have to wear a long shirt with them.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP