Monday, January 10, 2011

Village on a Diet

As much as I dislike exercise, I love watching other people do it. E and I used to watch the Biggest Loser every Tuesday until the producers thought it would be a good idea to make the show 2 hours long each week and we quickly decided we had better things to do with our time! We had a quirky [secret, until now] routine of eating Taco Bell takeout while watching the BL participants trying to change their eating habits for the better.

Now Canada has its own version of a Biggest Loser-type show called Village on a Diet. It's about a small town in northern British Columbia where 60% of its inhabitants are overweight or obese. The entire town wants to get healthy and in the process, try to lose a collective 1 ton in 10 weeks! And health and fitness experts have been flown in to help them do just that.

We watched the first episode last week and the second tonight and I have to say, I'm hooked. Though there are moments that are a bit overly-dramatic [trainer being "tough" with trainee], this documentary-style show is done so well, giving viewers an inside look at the struggles and triumphs of an entire town.

Village on a Diet is definitely giving me motivation to stick to my own goals. Hopefully, the rest of the season won't disappoint.

5 comments:

Claire Kiefer January 11, 2011 at 12:34 AM  

Whoa! Lose a collective ton! Now there is a lofty goal!

Why is everyone in that town so obese? Is there lard in the water?

Totally giggling at eating Taco Bell while watching Biggest Loser. :)

Ren- Lady Of The Arts January 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM  

What a show idea- I think it is so funny you ate Taco Bell while watching BL!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts January 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM  

You are totally one step ahead of me- I'm going to post our fav Indian dishes tomorrow- but I want to know what your parents make- my neighbours growing up (in High Park) were Indian and I was always so jealous of the yummy food they ate- Lucky for me I married a (Jewish) guy who loves to cook and experiment with Indian cusine-
umm sorry this is not relevant to the village-

Paula January 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

Bah, I missed it again. Must remember to pvr it next week. Supposedly there's a guy on it with my last name!

sheba January 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM  

@claire, the town is in northern BC, so it's cold cold cold in the winter and apparently that makes ppl eat more and exercise less. oh, and they don't have a real supermarket in town so they shop at the gas station! woah.

@ren, i can't believe i admitted to the taco bell.

@KOS, i think it might repeat thurs eve b/c that's when i saw the first episode...and it's a couple with your last name! i think of you every time they're onscreen!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP